October 18, 2011

Menudo

Menudo is a very famous dish.  I think it originated from Latin countries, and have a lot of variations over time.  This dish that I am featuring is a Filipino-version.  I learned it from my mom, who's learned several known dishes from all over the world.  I might feature some of her dishes here soon.
Menudo
I usually make this with ground meat for my children's preference.  But now that they're quite grown, I decided to serve the original version of it.  Kept my fingers crossed.  Hoped that they'd be more accepting this time.  My son liked it, but favored smaller cutlets of meat and liver.  No luck with my 4-year old daughter, but at least, she ate the sausages and the sauce over her rice.  And my husband has liked it ever since I made this.  
Menudo served over steamed rice
It is very nutritious because it's packed with vegetables and dried fruit....raisin if you would consider that.  Like Chili, I would call this the all-in-one food.

Ingredients:
1 lb pork shoulder butt (cut into small chunks) or substitute with ground pork
1 lb pork liver (cut into small cubes) 
4-5 pieces Chorizo Bilbao (Chinese Sausages), cut into small pieces
3-4 small potatoes, peeled, cut into small cubes
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup chick peas (garbanzos), may be substituted with green peas or mixed frozen vegies
1 small package of raisins (1.5 oz box)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 cup pork or chicken stock
2 tsps Thai fish sauce
2 Tbsps vegetable oil
3 tomatoes, diced, may use 1 can of diced tomatoes
1 small head of garlic (minced)
1 small onion, diced

  1. In a pan or wok, heat cooking oil.  Saute garlic, onion.
  2. Add pork, liver, chorizo de Bilbao, tomatoes, bellpepers, paprika, fish sauce, and the stock.  Stir-fry one after the other before adding the stock.  Do not add the ingredients all at once.
  3. Cover and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20 minutes under medium heat, or until the pork is tender.
  4. Add the chick peas, potatoes, and raisins.  Boil another 5 minutes til potato is cooked.
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Serve hot with white rice.
Yields: 4-6 people.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...