January 13, 2012

Chicken Vegetable Eggrolls


Eggrolls is one of my family's heirloom recipes that I enjoy cooking over and again.  I have made different variations over time.  Of all, Chicken and Vegetable is my children's favorite by far.  Mine is Pork and Shrimp Vegetable.

I will be sharing my Chicken Vegetable Eggroll recipe with you and I hope you'd love it as much as we did.  It's great for on the go lunches, and you can always make in bulk and freeze them till you're ready to cook them.

It's my mom's recipe, and I modified it bit since her version is quite complicated to prepare.  I made it simple for my convenience without sacrificing good taste.

Depending on what you're making, adjust the ingredients accordingly.  The ground meat can always be substituted with pork, chicken, beef or shrimp.  Or it can always be a combination of 2 kinds.  Believe me they taste good regardless of your choice of meat.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground chicken, or a meat of your choice
  • carrots, grated
  • sprigs of cilantro
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 3-5 sprigs of green onions, chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • soysauce to taste
  • a dash of salt, pepper & sugar to taste (substitutes MSG from store-bought ones)
  • eggroll wrappers  ( You can make one too if you have the time.  See recipe here.)
  • cooking oil for frying
Procedure:
  1. Prepare all ingredients.  Grate the vegetables and chop the green onions.  I like grating my vegetables rather than chopping them because it's so much easier and faster.  
  2. Mix all ingredients together until well blended.
  3. Spoon out a batter onto one side of the wrapper.  Wrap them up like a burrito.  This is time consuming but worth the time. You only need to seal one end which holds it from being rolled up.  Leave the rest open so the fillings would be cooked evenly.  Continue until all ingredients have been used up.
  4. Heat a skillet on med-high.  Add cooking oil.
  5. Fry until golden brown, but not burnt.
  6. Serve with ketchup or sweet and sour sauce.
Happy Eating!

I am also linking this up with Healthy Eats' January Challenge: Healthy Every Week.


Here are the lunches I've sent so far for the school year. I have been updating this post as I sent the lunches. All of them were appreciated and well-loved.
   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...