September 15, 2011

Day 10: Smelts, Beef Broccoli, Chinese Beef Stew over Steamed Rice

We're teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you're eating on Facebook andTwitter with the hashtag #brownbag.


Smelts
Blogging about my daily brown-bagging has become a habit now.  And since I couldn't figure out how to add tabs for recipes alone, I decided to add them in my blog for those who find them interesting to try.  Mostly we eat home-cooked Chinese food.  Home-cooked because I skim off the oils and fats for healthier options.  Otherwise we would have to settle with the store bought, and wash them off our system with tea afterwards.   The recipes I am sharing with you are not mine.  They came from various people, mainly family & friends, who have generously shared it with me. They've been in my recipe file for quite a number of years.

Stir-fried Beef Broccoli
Today I have brown-bagged our comfort food leftovers from last night's dinner.  We  have Chinese Stir-fried Beef Broccoli (my son's favorite), Fried Smelt (my daughter's favorite), and Chinese Beef Stew (my favorite).  Now where's my hubby's favorite meal?  Well, all three! He's not very picky about foods. He eats whatever's on the table as long as it tastes good.  And that's what I call luck coz he doesn't add up to my stress level when it comes to preparing meals.

Chinese Beef Stew
My son brought in chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce and watermelon as his dessert.  I was offering him BLT rollups but then when I checked on my fridge, I'm out of lettuce.  So we'll do that tomorrow instead. 

Well I hope you're having a wonderful time brown-bagging as well. 
Enjoy your meal. 


Here are the recipes for you to enjoy



FRIED SMELTS
2 lbs. cleaned smelts
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. bread crumbs


1/2 c. all-purpose flour

1 tbsp. parsley
1 tbsp. Romano cheese
1 clove garlic (chopped fine)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
Rinse fish in cold water. Drain; set aside. In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, flour, parsley, cheese, garlic and salt. Mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl beat eggs; set aside.In a large skillet add oil and heat. Using a fork dip smelts into beaten egg, then into bread crumbs. Coat fish completely. Place fish into heated oil in skillet and cook until golden brown. Serve immediately.




CHINESE BEEF STEW
3 1/2 lbs beef shank meat, cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chardonnay
2 tbsp dark soy
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp white sugar
3 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 inch piece ginger
2 tsp salt
3 cups water
In a large non-stick pot, heat the oil over high heat and brown the beef for about 7 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients except water.  Cook on high until the liquid has evaporated and the beef is evenly coated.
Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Then cover and simmer on low for about 2 hours or until meat is tender.  This may be cooked on crockpots overnight for better stewing.
Serve over steamed white rice.
Makes about 4 servings.
                     
Happy brown-bagging!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...