September 21, 2011

Chinese Beef Broccoli


Broccoli has been a regular staple in our household as well 
because of my children's love for it.  
It is the only vegetable that I can serve over and over
 with no complaints at all.
Magnificent!

Here's one of my family's favorite that we consider
a comfort food.

Chinese Beef Broccoli.
We used to get this at any Chinese Restaurants for to-go boxes.
But they make it too greasy that I considered learning it.
I experimented on recipes online,
and so far this is the closest
that I could find with minimal modifications
on cooking method.
I like my broccoli steamed to seal in
the nutrients and the crispiness.  I skimmed of
oil recommendation.  Otherwise it has no
difference to restaurant-made dishes.
I also replaced MSG with salt and sugar.

Ingredients:
3/4 pound lean beef, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh broccoli, washed, stalk cut diagonally, flowerets into 3  to 4 pieces
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Oil, as needed

Marinade beef slices for 30 minutes:
1 tbsp rice vinegar, 
or rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp soysauce
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp cornstarch


Pre-mix sauce and set aside:

2 tbsp oyster sauce

1 tbsp light soysauce

1 tbsp dark soysauce
1 tbsp water


Pre-mix thickener and set aside:
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water


To Cook Broccoli: 
1/2 cup water
salt & sugar to taste
(substitutes MSG)

Steam the broccoli till bright green in color and is tender but still crisp.

Heat the wok and add oil over medium heat.  
Add the beef.  Blanch the beef by letting it lay flat for 30 - 40 seconds, and then stirring to separate the pieces.
Once beef changes color and is nearly cooked, drain excess oil.  Leave very little oil only.

Add in the steamed broccoli, sprinkle salt and sugar, add in sauce, cornstarch mixture and stir quickly to thicken. 
Serve over steamed rice.

You may add carrots if desired.  Steam with the broccoli.

Enjoy!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...