May 2, 2012

Tuna Sandwich


With Food Network's Healthy Eats Challenge, I was prompted to make another of my tuna sandwiches for breakfast.  In our household, we differ in preferences as to sandwich spreads.  My kids are plain and simple, while my hubby and I always have something to add on. I like pickled dills on mine, while he wants lettuce and tomatoes. My kids just wanted as is, sometimes on toasts.

I'd say Tuna is one of the healthiest ingredients to include on our daily diets.  According to Eat This!, there are 7 benefits of Tuna:
  1. Cardiovascular Health
  2. Eye Health
  3. Cancer Prevention
  4. Cognitive Benefits
  5. Mood Lifter
  6. Improved Insulin Response
  7. Promotes Detoxifications
So, just imagine how much tuna can contribute to our well-being.  I would definitely incorporate this to our daily intake if I could.  Not only that but I have to think of other ways to serve tuna before my family gets sick of it.

Since we're sharing this with some fellow bloggers and challenge-takers, I'd like to add in the recipe for my tuna sandwich, courtesy of Simply Recipes.

Tuna Salad Sandwich

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (6 ounce) can of tuna fish (if packed in water, drain it, and add a teaspoon of good quality olive oil)
  • 1/3 cup of cottage cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons of mayonaise
  • 1/4 purple onion, chopped finely
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped finely
  • 1 Tablespoon of capers
  • Juice of half of a lemon
  • Pinch or two of dill
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
  • (optional - lettuce and sliced tomatoes)
  • Slices of French bread, lightly toasted

METHOD


Mix all of the ingredients. Serve on toast, either open faced, or in a regular sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes. For a low carb option, serve on sliced lettuce.


For my children's sake, I have to put the celery stalk on a blender for a smoother finish. Dill, Onions, Tomatoes, Lettuce and Capers were served on the side, sometimes eliminated at all.  They still tasted great and yummy for our tummies.

I'm also linking this up to Healthy Eats' May Healthy Every Week Challenge.
 Hope you enjoyed this post!

~Marie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...