September 1, 2011

Day 1: Home-made Sushi Rolls & Melons


We're teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you're eating on Facebook andTwitter with the hashtag #brownbag.


This is my first time to blog about lunches. And my first time to send lunches for school.  Mr G had been used to cafeteria meals since Kindergarten due to his extreme pickiness with food. I was advised to let him eat with peers for starters. And had him choose and decide for his lunch.  But little did I know that cafeteria meals were actually more expensive and less nutritious as compared to when I packed them myself.  But the problem was, he wouldn't eat whatever I pack for him.

To solve the problem, I asked if we could both join Food Network's September BrownBag Challenge. I'd pack his lunch, and all he'd do is eat them. He was not required to even finish them. But at least take a bite till we find what worked versus not.


First days are usually easy because we were still excited, and ideas were abundant.  I usually plan the night before with the whole family. They usually have the option to either eat in school or bring a brown bag.  But since we're on a challenge, that option is scratched.  Instead, they have the option to duplicate cafeteria meals. They eat the same thing what their friends were eating, except it was made from home. And they bought that. Since first day menu was bean and cheese taco, they passed on that and requested for their favorite sushi rolls. I made them teriyaki beef and crab sushi rolls with melon diced on a separate bento box.  And hub got tofu and burger for work. 

Have a wonderful first week of school, everyone!
Keep brown-bagging and make it fun.
~Marie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...