September 2, 2011

Day 2: Vegetable & Shrimp Eggrolls & Corn Kernels







We're teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you're eating on Facebook andTwitter with the hashtag #brownbag.



What's in your brown bag today?  I was feeling a little bit adventurous on the second day of challenge.  So I tried a different set of meal for my son to school today.  I know that eggrolls with ketchup rice are his absolute favorite, but hasn't tried eating it in school yet.  I know what you're thinking, but it's what makes him eat, so I let him have it.  But he didn't want that to bring it in school. He said it's quite messy to squirt ketchup packets on his rice.  Considering the fact that his classmates might stare at him while he's busy preparing his yummy lunch. So I thought of an alternative to rice.  And I thought of corn kernels. It's perfect because it fills you just the way rice does.   And I'm glad I have 3 bags of it in my freezer. I fried the eggrolls, blotted the excess oil before I even packed it.  I lined the container with paper towels to ensure that the eggrolls stay crunchy, and not soggy. If you have waxpaper, use that instead.  Then I gave him about half a cup of corn kernels with a dash of salt, and a plum for dessert.  Then I stowed a juice pouch and a bottled water in his lunch bag.  Perfect!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...