January 6, 2012

Homemade Taho (Tau-Huay), Sweetened Tofu

It is one of my favorite childhood memories. 


I like it warm and sweet.  


Best of all it is healthy and vegan :)

For those who are having a difficult time liking and eating tofu, this might be a good solution to that problem.  Even picky children love this.  Just let them adjust the sweetness according to their taste.
Picture courtesy of Niceyfemme.  I have used it for visualization purposes
only so as you know how the dessert is prepared.
It's been 2 decades now since I've last eaten Taho.  I am so ecstatic to find out that I can actually make my own Taho from home with 3 easy-to-find basic ingredients.
  • Organic extra soft or silken tofu (readily available)
  • brown sugar or raw honey
  • tapioca pearls
This is not only good as a dessert but a great breakfast for kids as well.  You would just have to adjust the degree of sweetness per kid's preference.  I have 2 entirely opposite little tongues at home so adding honey to my so healthy son does the trick.  While my girl and I get the brown sugar caramel.  YUM!!

Here's all you need to do to start eating healthier.
  1. Pour 4 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. 
  2. Add in 1/2 cup uncooked tapioca pearls and cook for 40 minutes in medium heat.
  3. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and mix well.  This gives the tapioca pearls a flavorful sweetness as we chew it.
  4. Turn off the heat and let the tapioca pearls cool at room temperature.  Set aside.
  5. In another pot, bring 1 cup of water to boil.  Then add in 1 cup of brown sugar.  Mix well and simmer till brown sugar blends well with water. Add a tsp of vanilla extract (optional). 
  6. Transfer the extra soft or silken tofu in a microwaveable glass, and microwave on high for a minute.
  7. Top with sweetened tapioca pearls and caramel syrup or raw honey.
  8. Serve warm.
I'd like to thank a good friend of mine, Michelle, who discovered about making tofu dessert due to our cravings.  Now I could enjoy my tofu at the start of my day.  Delicious!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...