May 21, 2012

Double Chocolate Crinkles (Recipe)


Have you ever had Chocolate Crinkles?

Chocolate Crinkles is a cross between a cookie and a brownie. It's crunchy from the outside like a cookie, and chewy inside like a brownie.  Yet, melts in the mouth as you devour it.  It's that good and divine!

I have been eating this since my childhood years, when it was so popular in school that almost everyone knew how to make it perfectly perfect. No one could even dare sell and make money out of it because it wouldn't sell. It was so easy to make that anyone could just produce it with their eyes closed.

But when I got into my junior high, the chocolate crinkles craze subsided. I guess because it was time to trim down those waistlines.  So gone were the good old recipes.  And chocolate crinkles were soon forgotten.

Now that I have kids of my own, I see people selling chocolate crinkles around again.  And they aren't as good as we used to make them. The chocolate crinkles nowadays have too much flour that makes them too dry and starchy. Or perhaps most were over baked that turned them dry. They should be moist and should melt in your mouth as you chew on them.

As I said, my golden recipe were gone. So I have no idea how to make a good batch all over again. My friends who have saved their recipes would not share at all.  For reasons that they either have a culinary school, or a bakery business. So no way on sharing. And my quest to experiment started about a few years ago. To my luck, I found a recipe that I keep and bake once in a while.

We all know that recipes have popped all over the wonderful world of webs (WWW) (^o^) . Okay..okay..! It's the world wide web. But most of them differ in measurements, procedures and bake time.  The only similarities are the presence of flour, cocoa powder, eggs, butter/oil & powdered sugar. Then they leave it all up to your taste buds. In other words, feel free to modify and experiment. Oh, and I hate that especially when I crave for one, right at this very hour. I'd make them, then when it's not what I want, they'd either go straight to the trash bin or to someone else's house. Then I'd give up for some time. Until I go looking for one again.

To make the story short, I came across Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix, which I bought to fulfill a daughter's request for a brownie. As I was reading the label, I noticed it has a Chocolate Crackle Cookie Recipe and an image on it. It looked exactly like my Chocolate Crinkles except its name and its procedure. So I bought it. Instead of making a brownie, I made the Chocolate Crackle, but with modifications for Chocolate Crinkles. I knew this would slightly differ because it has chocolate chips on it. That I think would make this a whole new experience.

Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookie (Recipe)

1 box Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix
1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
3 eggs
1/3 cup Butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar (for coating dough)

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven at 350F
2.Mix together: brownie mix, flour, eggs, & butter in a medium bowl.  Stir until well-blended.
3. Place powdered sugar in separate bowl.
4. Chill cookie mix for about 2-3 hours or longer if you wish. 
5. For each cookie, scoop a rounded tablespoon dough and coat with powdered sugar by rolling. It should look the image below. It is impossible to form them into balls when not chilled.
6. Place them 2" apart onto greased or lined cookie sheet 

7. Bake 11-13 minutes. Do not over-bake as they will turn dry.
8. Let them cool for 2 minutes before moving them to the cooling rack, to cool completely.
My suggestion would be to store them in an airtight container to maintain freshness and keep them in the refrigerator because they taste better when chilled.  It's like eating chocolate chips in a cookie. Not melted but on its original form. YUM!
 Enjoy chocolates in a brand new way!
My Instagram
I will be posting my Traditional Chocolate Crinkle Cookie soon so you can tell the difference. But that recipe would be from scratch so people, who have allergies can easily modify their ingredients, and get a bite on this one too.

Have a wonderful day!

~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...