May 7, 2012

Seafood Squash & String Beans in Coconut Milk


I have always loved to cook for my family in a daily basis even if I'm swamped with works to do.  It's like life isn't complete without any home-cooked meals on our table.  And the kids enjoy it! I admit I had my moments after I had the kids when I just couldn't cook. I feel like my ingenuity in the kitchen was nowhere to be found. And I would serve repeat meals every week to the point that we were forced to get to-go meals.  But we know that we have to stop and eat right, before we even regret the ill-effects of it.  Now the kids never ask for fastfoods, unless they're physically served.  

I would like to feature on this post my hubby's most favorite seafood vegetable meal.  I get a lot of requests for this each time.  It is very creamy because of the scrumptious tasting coconut milk.  We call this the Seafood Squash & String Beans in Coconut Milk.
This can be cooked with varied seafoods, depending on what you are craving.  It can go with shrimp, mussels, lobsters and blue crab.  We usually do it with a combination of shrimps, mussels and crabs on occasions.  And they are just so grand!  The coconut milk that seeps into the seafood made it such a warm and hearty dish.  You can't just get enough of it. For a simpler dish, you can always just use one kind of seafood,  just like the image above.

For that I'd like to share our healthy recipe so you get the chance to taste it for yourselves. If you love anything with coconut milk, you will love this for years of eating together with your love ones.

Enjoy!

Seafood Squash & String Beans in Coconut Milk Recipe

1 tsp canola oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 lb mussels, shelled
1/2 lb shrimps, shelled and deveined
1/2 lb crab meat
1 lb squash, cut into cubes
1 bunch string beans, cut into 2.5 inch length
1 can coconut milk
1-1/2 tsp fish sauce
black pepper to taste

Heat oil on medium to high heat.
Saute garlic and onion.
Add in fish sauce and coconut milk, then let boil.
Add in pepper and let simmer till the coconut milk reduces and slightly thickens in consistency.
Add in the seafood meats, let it cook.
Add in squash, simmer until you can poke it with a fork.
Add in string beans. Let cook for about 3-5 minutes.
Turn the heat off and serve warm.

Note: If you're using only 1 seafood meat, adjust the quantity to a pound.  You can always cook the seafoods with their shells on.  But it's better shelled when you're dining with kids.  I always make my meals kid-friendly to avoid a reluctant-eater.

Happy cooking!
~Marie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...