October 4, 2012

World Animal Day Hop: A Seahorse & Friends

October 4, 2012 is World Animal Day.
That calls for another Blog Hop.

My fellow Bento Bloggers and Friends prepared lunches of varying animals on each hop. So brace yourselves as we amuse you and your kids with the different animal lunches showcased on this special day.  This is like virtual animal museum of the Bento World.

 Missy A is deeply in love with horses and its kinds, including sea horses. This is just a perfect time to surprise her with a SEAHORSE school lunch. I've never done anything like this before, and I'd like to dedicate this to my sweet little 5 year-old girl.
 Today's Lunch was inspired by the book, The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark.
It is one of our favorite books that we have read time and time again. It is a story similar to the Three Little Pigs except that this has a different kind of excitement for kids who love the ocean world.
 In the book, the youngest fish, Jim encountered a sea horse playing with some seaweed on his quest to build his own house.  He asked if he could take some of the seaweeds to use for his house. For which the seahorse gladly agreed.
Just as he had just built his seaweed house, he heard the big bad shark knocking at the door and said, "Little fish, little fish, let me come in."
To which little Jim trembled and replied, "Not by the skin of my finny fin fin!"
"Then I'll munch and I'll crunch and I'll smash your house in," roared the shark.
My girl would usually giggle with excitement as she eats her goldfish and Nori.
And that's what the side treats are here for.
The story finishes, with all three fishes together defeated the shark,
which made him lose all of his teeth.

We love this book because it teaches kids a very important lesson in life.
Aim high, plan smartly, work well and diligently.
Always expect the worst.

FACTS about Sea Horses:
Sea horses are fish.
They are covered with bony plates, not scales.
Their heads look a bit like a horse's head.
The dad carries the eggs in a pocket on his belly.
The eggs hatch inside the pocket, then swim away.

Her lunch today were sea horse-shaped rice krispies topped with her favorite sprinkles.  (It was intended to be a sea horse onigiri, but my girl opted for this instead). 
I was planning to paint it with food coloring but my kids don't want painted food so I'm quite limited on presenting foods to them in a whole new way.
I hope you had a great time on my post today.

Let's see what my fellow Bento Blogger & Friend, Diana of Diana Rambles, 
is up to with her animal-themed lunch for the hop.
She is the beauty and brains behind Bento Blog Network and Custom Blog Designs.
Make sure to check her out and the rest of our lunches till you get back to where you started. Just push the button below to be teleported to her Animal Bento World!
Enjoy!!

Tools used for today's post:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...