July 9, 2012

Summer Mealtime: Inspired by The Magic School Bus and the Shark Adventure

My kids are huge fans of The Magic School Bus Series. Big G started reading those series back in Kindergarten, and still enjoys it now that I'm reading it to his Sissy.  Since I have the right tools in hand, we decided to make a breakfast the following day to talk more about it.  And further connect with the story.

I would have to thank an amazing fellow bento blogger, Keitha from Keitha's Chaos, for inspiring me to make lunches out of the books we read. My children are voracious readers, and I'd like to inspire them better by making meals out of it.  But you see, mama's not a food artist, as my fellow Bento Bloggers & Friends. I just try to put together healthy lunches and make them appear as appealing as it could be.  So bare with me.

Ms. Frizzle and her class were painting a big picture of the ocean life, when Keesha asked if she could paint a mermaid's purse. Unknown to all, Ms. Frizle decided to take the class on a trip to the ocean to find out what a Mermaid's Purse is all about. Turns out those are shark egg cases.

So here's the lunch I made for both of them, which reminded them of the whole MSB trip with Ms. Frizz, as she's fondly called by the class.

One for each child of course. Shark-shaped pancakes (mommy and baby). The Nori is the mermaid's purse enlarged with orange slices for corals. Syrup on the smidgets.
I was trying to wrap the Nori sheets partially on the baby shark, but it keeps breaking apart. So I just laid it on the background. Since the kids knew the story, they got it was the mermaid's purse.

Hope you're enjoying your summer!

~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...